Learn to speak, read and write Spanish from scratch with this accelerated course that will quickly build your confidence
Spanish, with over 400 million speakers, is now second only to Chinese as the most spoken language on the planet. An understanding of Spanish opens up diverse and beautiful travel destinations in Spain and Latin America. Spanish also has an incredibly rich literary heritage – from medieval poetry to Cervantes’ iconic Don Quixote; memoirs of exploration and discovery from the 1400s to politics and the Civil War from the 1900s.
This fast-paced course will help you become a confident speaker, reader and writer in Spanish. It is tailored for adult learners with no previous experience of the language. Your tutor, Rebeca Lopez Pernas, is a native Spanish speaker who loves sharing Spanish culture. Topics under discussion are likely to include:
- Talking about ourselves: how to give physical and personal descriptions of people and their interests
- Holidays and travel: describing places, what you did there, accommodation and sharing your opinion about travel experiences
- Tapas time! Is there anything more typical – perhaps other than the siesta – of Spain than tapas? You will learn how to book a table in a restaurant, learn vocabulary around typical Spanish food and drinks, and how to deal with problems that may arise
You will benefit from a rigorous approach to learning Spanish, rooted in a systematic study of grammar and vocabulary. This ensures that you understand the mechanics of the language and are able to use it independently. Hampton Court House is renowned for the teaching of languages. We have been recognised by the United Nations as a UNESCO Associate School and, in 2015, won a Good Schools’ Guide Award for some of the top results in the country for GCSE Spanish.
Meet your tutor
Rebeca Lopez Pernas
Rebeca was born in Spain where she graduated from Santiago de Compostela University with a degree in industrial engineering and a master’s in industrial risk assessment. She also holds a master’s degree in secondary education. After working in international companies, Rebeca decided to pursue her vocation for teaching, starting a new career in early years and bilingual education, where she has found her real passion. She studied early years education in Kingston and co-founded the daycare nursery at Hampton Court House. She also teaches Spanish to GCSE and has developed this new Spanish course for Form Seven, making her the teacher with the widest age range of students in the school!
Reserve your place
Get ready to learn one of the world’s most popular languages
- This course runs on Thursday evenings from 7.00pm to 8.30 pm, starting on 11 January, with a week’s break at half term
- Fee: £175 – covers the whole term’s lessons, bespoke teaching materials and an informal buffet supper each week before class
- Numbers are capped in order to ensure personal attention from the tutor, so we recommend reserving a place soon
- The first class is a taster session; if you decide that the course is not for you, we offer a full no-quibble refund