Learn to speak, read and write Mandarin Chinese from scratch and discover more about this rich, ancient culture
A fast-paced course for beginners that aims to have you quickly communicating with confidence in Mandarin Chinese. The course is tailored for adult learners with no previous experience of studying Mandarin.
Phonetics, vocabulary, grammar and Chinese characters will all be covered. Alongside intensive work on the language, your tutor, Coco Gu, will share her passion for Chinese culture – history, philosophy, art and food.
What you will learn
The course will include:
- Greetings and the foundation of Chinese language
- Numbers, times and dates
- Countries and nationalities
- Travel in China
- Chinese festivals
WHO IS IT FOR?
The course is suitable for complete beginners or those progressing from previous terms. Lessons are highly personalised to each learner’s needs. No experience is needed, just a desire to learn Mandarin Chinese.
Meet your tutor
Coco was born in China and studied chemical engineering at university. She then moved to Germany to pursue a master's degree in chemistry. Her fellow German students asked her for help learning Mandarin. It was there that she discovered her passion for teaching Chinese as a foreign language. For the last fourteen years – while living in the UK, Indonesia and Japan – Coco has continued to teach Mandarin to children and adults. In 2011 she studied for a Certificate in Senior Grade Chinese Language Teaching at Beijing Normal University.
She is very proud of the Chinese language, not only because it is one of the world's most ancient languages, still used on a daily basis by over 1.3 billion people, but also the rich culture, history and philosophy that comes with it. Coco loves to share this passion with her students.
Reserve your place
Get ready to learn one of the world's most important languages
- This course runs on Thursday evenings from 7.00 to 8.30 pm, starting on 19 April, with two weeks’ break at half term
- Fee: £200 – covers the whole term’s lessons, bespoke teaching materials and an informal buffet supper served at 6.15 pm each week before class
- Numbers are capped in order to ensure personal attention from the tutor, so we recommend reserving a place soon
- The first class is a taster session; if you decide that the course is not for you, we offer a full no-quibble refund